So we might not be getting the weather but this should get you in a summery mood. A classic victoria sponge with real strawberries in.
- 170g butter
- 3 large eggs
- 170g sugar
- 170g flour
- A generous handful of fresh strawberries
- A good strawberry jam
- Buttercream (I used betty crockers vanilla buttercream)
- Preheat the oven 180° and line 2 x round cake tins.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until well combined.
- Add in pre-whisked eggs into the mixture and make sure all is combined together.
- Add in the flour and mix together until a nice thick cake batter is formed.
- Split the mixture between the two tins.If you want to be as precise and OCD as me I measure out the mixture and split evenly.
- Bake for around 15 minutes until light brown and springy from edges.
- Let cool on cooling rack.
- Spread a nice thick layer of jam on top of the bottom cake.
- Layer sliced strawberries neatly on top of the jam.
- Pipe on your buttercream for a more proffesional look to it.
- Lightly sandwich the other cake on top.
- Dust with icing sugar and decorate with strawberries on top and sides.
whisk the eggs just enough to combine before adding to mixture to avoid cracks when baking.